Sometimes I think about what married life will be like…but not nearly as much as I think about the wedding. I don’t think that’s a very good thing. Have you and your hubby-to-be talked about how you’ll be as a married couple? This post is about wanting things to be more about marriage and less about the wedding…and my struggle to decide what being married means to me and to our relationship. Check it out here.
weddzilla post February 24, 2010
Tags: african american bride, black bride, checklist, timeline
…aka: my wedding to-do list. And the problem with this thing is that it’s constantly morphing into something bigger and badder. Everytime I think I’ve tamed this unwieldy beast…it outwits me and continues to grow. *sigh* Here’s where we stand now:
Info for the officiant (which happens to be The Mister’s dad)
- I’ve got to pick up our marriage licence info, but it’s only good for 30 days, so I can’t get it that far in advance.
- We’ve got to talk to his dad about the ceremony. He tends to be a bit, um, verbose…so we’ve got to let him know that we want to keep it movin’.
- With that, I need to come up with a ceremony outline.
- His dad lives in Illinois but we’re getting married in Wisconsin, so he’s got to get a letter from a local pastor vouching for him (that’s weird, right?)
Stuff that needs to happen sooner rather than later
- Our reception site’s letting us bring in our own bartender and alcohol, but I need to pick up an insurance rider to do it
- I haven’t gotten The Mister a wedding band…and haven’t decided on engraving yet either.
- Address & mail the invitations.
- I need to come up with a full day timeline for everyone (wedding party & vendors).
- Build chuppah for ceremony.
Stuff that I’ll probably leave ’til the last minute
- Ordering food for rehearsal dinner picnic.
- Buy vases to sit the bouquets in at the reception.
- Shop for clothes for honeymoon.
- Create the wedding program.
- Buy a strapless bra for wedding dress.
- Figure out what we’re doing for transportation that day.
Stuff that I think about but can wait
- Name change info.
- Thank you cards.
That’s it for now…how’s your list looking? Are you stressing or feeling good? Do you have all the major stuff (ceremony/reception sites, flowers, food, photagrapher) taken care of?