I was excited about how our invitations turned out. They were unique, classy, and fun. You can click over here to see how they turned out and how we saved money.
Remember I’d told you that I did a speech for my Toastmasters group about how to have a classy, but frugal, wedding? Well, I actually looked up some numbers when doing some research for that speech and found some interesting stats about what makes a wedding “average” in America.
- The average engagement is 17 months (Ours will be ten.)
- Most dudes are spending $4,400 for their ladies’ engagement ring. (Whoa.)
- $31,000 is the average amount spent on weddings, not including honeymoons (I have to remind myself not to be judgey here just because I think that that’s a crazy amount of money. There are probably folks who think that the ten thousand we’re spending is insanity.)
- Most wedding dresses? $1,500. (Again, I won’t be judgey even though that’s nutty for one outfit…and that’s all it is ladies, an outfit. FYI…my dress cost $100.)
- Photography comes in at about $2,300. (I immediately fell into a vendor-crush with the first photographer that I met with…his photos were amazing, I was feeling his vibe, he and his wife were partners and I thought that was cool, and he had this amazing home office. I love, love, loved him!! But he wanted $2,400 for everything that we wanted, plus an extra $200 for engagement photos. Heartbroken. The Mister came to the rescue though with a great photog that we both get along with well…and he’s about $1,400 cheaper.)
- Most people are spending around $2,000 on flowers. (We’ll end up spending about $700, which is still a lot of money for flowers. I swallow hard every time I think about that one…but I know I’ll love the final result.)
- The average reception is $14,000. (Really?! That’s a boatload of money! I wonder if I had an extra 14k lying around, if I’d even spend it on a reception…and what does that buy? Caviar? Moet? Those guests better be leaving that reception saying it’s the best thing they’ve ever been to or ever done!)
So are you average? Did you have any vendor crushes that never came to fruition? Are you buying stuff that you really, really want, but still makes you wince when you look at the budget line? Are you sticking to your budget?
two left feet April 29, 2010
I got these at Walgreens. When you wear heels, they’re supposed to shift the weight from the ball of your feet to make it more evenly distributed. I’m up for trying anything that’ll make heels more comfy for me! I wear gym shoes or flats most of the time, so rocking heels while being comfortable is essential. Though I’m still planning on wearing the kitten heels at the reception so that I can boogie and be pain free.
How are you dealing with the heels conundrum? Are you planning on wearing yours all day or just the ceremony?
The Mister giggled when he saw this…look at the big pic. She looks so sad and then at the bottom…tattoo’s all covered up, happiness! Too funny! As usual, when we laugh about something silly…we become silly, I made up a conversation that the picture lady probably had with herself:
Boy, that dragon tattoo seemed like such a great idea at the time, but now that I’m getting married, it just kinda bums me out. I sure do wish there was a way to cover it up for my wedding day. *sigh* Oh wait! What’s this? Tattoo coverup?!! Yay…now I’ll have a fantastic and carefree wedding day!
Weddzilla post April 26, 2010
I’ve got tattoos, but only one is visible and it’s on my foot. I’d been thinking all along that I was just gonna let it all hang out on the wedding day, but then I tried everything on a couple of weeks ago when my mom was here and as much as it pains me to say it…my mom is right. The tattoo detracts from the whole “look”. Check out this post if you want to find out to cover yours up for your big day.
whoa nelly! April 25, 2010
I was just getting ready to grab my mouse and head off to some website and buy more clothes for our marathon month after our wedding: 10-day honeymoon in Puerto Vallarta, 5-day Arizona trip, then another wedding…and that’s when I realized that I should probably actually check and see what I’d already bought for all of that stuff. It’s amazing how hard it is to shut off that shopping switch in my head.
Anyhoo, this is what I’ve got so far.
From J.Crew…on final sale, a cute brightly colored halter:
Got this at Ann Taylor Loft on super sale (on sale after the sale price)! I think I tied the belt too tight…but trust me, it’s very cute:
This is such a cute dress from Anthropologie…you just can’t tell from this pic, lol! Anyhoo, I’d planned on wearing it to our rehearsal dinner, but it’s gonna be uber-casual so I’ll probably use it for something else (as well as the honeymoon of course):
I’d totally forgotten about this dress! I got it at least six or seven years ago at Ann Taylor and it’s absolutely lovely! It fits like a glove but is comfy:
And of course shorts…and when I wear shorts, they’re short!:
So that’s what I’ve got so far. Plus I’ve got plenty of cute skirts and tops that’ll work for the trips as well. And I feel like I should at least pretend that I’m going to work out, so I’ll have to pack running shoes and workout clothes. The only thing that I need to buy are swimsuits and a cover up.
Disclaimer: just because I don’t need to buy anything doesn’t mean that I won’t!