Something old, something new
Something borrowed, something blue
And a silver sixpence in her shoe
We’ve all heard this phrase (maybe minus the sixpence thing) and since I don’t have this stuff yet (except for the blue…I’ve got blue earrings), I was wondering if I really wanted to stick with this tradition.
- Something old represents a connection with the past and family.
- Something new is the optimism for the future.
- The something borrowed should come from a happily married family member and reminds the bride that she’s got a support system.
- Something blue stands for love, modesty, and fidelity.
- And the sixpence represents wealth and financial security.
So after doing my research, I guess I’d like to do this deal. Both The Mister and I think that this whole marriage thing is bigger than the both of us…like it’s as much about our families as it is us. So I think these customs are cool because they reflect that. Anybody know where I can find a sixpence? Because wealth sounds pretty sweet…I want somma that!