I was excited about how our invitations turned out. They were unique, classy, and fun. You can click over here to see how they turned out and how we saved money.
Remember I’d told you that I did a speech for my Toastmasters group about how to have a classy, but frugal, wedding? Well, I actually looked up some numbers when doing some research for that speech and found some interesting stats about what makes a wedding “average” in America.
- The average engagement is 17 months (Ours will be ten.)
- Most dudes are spending $4,400 for their ladies’ engagement ring. (Whoa.)
- $31,000 is the average amount spent on weddings, not including honeymoons (I have to remind myself not to be judgey here just because I think that that’s a crazy amount of money. There are probably folks who think that the ten thousand we’re spending is insanity.)
- Most wedding dresses? $1,500. (Again, I won’t be judgey even though that’s nutty for one outfit…and that’s all it is ladies, an outfit. FYI…my dress cost $100.)
- Photography comes in at about $2,300. (I immediately fell into a vendor-crush with the first photographer that I met with…his photos were amazing, I was feeling his vibe, he and his wife were partners and I thought that was cool, and he had this amazing home office. I love, love, loved him!! But he wanted $2,400 for everything that we wanted, plus an extra $200 for engagement photos. Heartbroken. The Mister came to the rescue though with a great photog that we both get along with well…and he’s about $1,400 cheaper.)
- Most people are spending around $2,000 on flowers. (We’ll end up spending about $700, which is still a lot of money for flowers. I swallow hard every time I think about that one…but I know I’ll love the final result.)
- The average reception is $14,000. (Really?! That’s a boatload of money! I wonder if I had an extra 14k lying around, if I’d even spend it on a reception…and what does that buy? Caviar? Moet? Those guests better be leaving that reception saying it’s the best thing they’ve ever been to or ever done!)
So are you average? Did you have any vendor crushes that never came to fruition? Are you buying stuff that you really, really want, but still makes you wince when you look at the budget line? Are you sticking to your budget?