The Happy Nappy Bride

About weddings. About relationships. About the first year of being married.

Money: pile it, eat it, or bury it? September 19, 2010

Filed under: Building a life — Happy Nappy Bride @ 2:03 pm
Tags: , ,

It’s that time of the year…squirrels everywhere.  I mean everywhere!  And I just think they are too cute.  Whenever I walk around, I see squirrels darting around, eating acorns, burying acorns, saving acorns…they are on a mission.  And I can’t be the only one who wants to run around after them, right?  I love watching them and seeing their cute, furry little tails flicking in the air.

But they got me to thinking the other day that I need to be more like them.  I’m a saver by nature, but I’ve gotten away from it since the wedding.  Pre-wedding, I had five figures saved up for a rainy day (because I’m inexplicably worried about said day of rain), but post-wedding?  I’ve only got a couple pennies clanging around in there.  The Mister and I have to get to work and be like those squirrels!  We should still be able to spend some money like the squirrels still eat their acorns…but they never stop putting nuts away for the future.  Some of our money has to be buried in investments and annuities not to be touched for a while, but some of it has to be piled up (still using our squirrel metaphor here folks) in a savings account for easy access.

I think we’ve got a plan together, but this is a tough time to start thinking about saving.  Just coming off of our wedding and honeymoon…and Christmas is literally right around the corner.  *sigh*  What do you and your honey do about rainy days?

Advertisements
 

12 Responses to “Money: pile it, eat it, or bury it?”

  1. Amy Says:

    Hopefully there won’t be any rainy days anytime soon for the hubby and I cause our savings are non-existent. Weddings aren’t cheap!

  2. Frugalista Says:

    Our savings would be HUGE if it weren’t for the wedding. Hmfff. But that’s the choice we made. Now, I tell him how much to transfer into each of our accounts and he does it. Slowly re building that “just in case” fund.

  3. Tiffany Says:

    That’s one reason why we chose a destination wedding – we couldn’t fathom spending thousands on a ceremony and reception would only last a few hours. Besides our 401k’s, hubby and I stash most of our cash in savings accounts. I also have five figures saved for a rainy day, and amazingly hubby has grown his to 5x what I have. Savings accounts are good enough for us though. But the easy access does get me in trouble sometimes.

  4. Karen Says:

    We were able to save 75% of our wedding budget in 18 months…but, that meant money that wasn’t going in to our savings accounts or paying down debt. We both tapped our individual savings to cover the rest of the budget and to pay for our attire, rings, gifts, etc. Post wedding, our plan is save 75% of the monthly wedding savings and use the other 25% to pay debt. We hope to consumer debt and student loan free in 48 months. We know that could have opted to be debt free sooner without a wedding, but what fun is that??? 🙂

  5. Kemi Says:

    We’ve also been going through the how do we start saving phase. After paying for 2, yes, TWO wedding ceremonies, and then also rent (which in Nigeria is in years not months i.e 2 years rent up front), I feel like we’ve had no disposable income for at least a year now. We’ve essentially been saving 70% of our income every month in order to be able to pay for all these things. And now when I thought we could let up and have a few fancy dinners hubby taps his watch shaking his head (i exaggerate of course) reminding me that we now have to save for grad school for both of us, travelling for next year, and if by some stroke of luck we still have any penny left, future kids’ education fund.

    Might as well live for today lol!

  6. “eat it or bury it?”
    That pretty much sums up what I’m debating right now. It’s tough when you start to calculate things like interest rates and potential future investments. *sigh*


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s