The Happy Nappy Bride

About weddings. About relationships. About the first year of being married.

Weddzilla post May 17, 2010

Filed under: Weddzilla — Happy Nappy Bride @ 2:59 pm
Tags: , ,

When I was a kid, I got to spend my summers with my grandmother and I always had so much fun with her.  So I was super excited when my mom gave me a special ring of my grandmother’s to wear as my “something old” for our wedding.  My grandma was a pretty awesome lady and I feel special that I get t o wear it…read about it over here.


Weddzilla post May 9, 2010

Filed under: Staying sane,Weddzilla — Happy Nappy Bride @ 6:53 pm
Tags: ,

I sometimes feel like I let folks down in my reactions to their wedding questions.  It’s like they want me to be excited with capital letters and I’m all lower case.  They want exclamation points at the end of every wedding related sentence and all I got is a period…or maybe an ellipsis.  I am excited about everything involved with the day…I just wanna make sure I’m more excited about the days after our wedding day.  Click here to read about it.


Weddzilla post May 4, 2010

Filed under: Weddzilla — Happy Nappy Bride @ 9:43 am
Tags: , ,

Do you find yourself comparing your wedding to other ladies’ weddings?  Or fighting off “well-meaning” relatives who offer up way too much unsolicited advice?  Well, check out this post as I try to keep things in perspective.  I mean, the one thing that unites all brides (cheap wedding or extravaganza)  is that we believe in the power of the ceremony and of gathering our friends and family around us as we transition into a new phase of life.  Right?  Right, so go check it out.


Weddzilla post April 30, 2010

Filed under: Details,Weddzilla — Happy Nappy Bride @ 9:05 am
Tags: , , ,

I was excited about how our invitations turned out.  They were unique, classy, and fun.  You can click over here to see how they turned out and how we saved money.


weddzilla post April 18, 2010

Filed under: Weddzilla — Happy Nappy Bride @ 5:28 pm
Tags: , ,

I’ll bet people told you that you have to invite folks to your wedding as a pair or you have awful etiquette and will go to wedding Hell.  Well, that’s not what Martha says…and I think we all know that Martha’s on top of it!  Don’t believe me?  Check this out!


weddzilla post April 13, 2010

Filed under: Weddzilla — Happy Nappy Bride @ 10:27 am
Tags: , ,

Did you know that, according to my calculations, Blacks and Hispanics have spent over 566 billion dollars on weddings?  Did you know that it’s still pretty hard to find representation of those same folks in wedding magazines and popular wedding blogs…even though they’re spending all of that money?  Wanna read more?  Then go on over here.


weddzilla post April 7, 2010

Filed under: Weddzilla — Happy Nappy Bride @ 7:41 am

I remember before I got engaged that when I heard about friends getting engaged and married, that I would be 98% super happy for them.  The other 2%…wondering when my time would come.  Check out this post about how changing my outlook changed my situation.


weddzilla post April 2, 2010

Filed under: Weddzilla — Happy Nappy Bride @ 7:43 am
Tags: ,

Our reception venue only holds 150 people…not small, but not huge either.  It’s not a reception hall or ballroom, but a mansion with many smaller rooms.  Gorgeous?  Yes.  Too small for people to bring folks we hadn’t planned on?  You bet!  So we had inserts made up to tell people how many folks they could RSVP for…hopefully it works!  Check them out over here.


weddzilla post March 30, 2010

Filed under: Weddzilla — Happy Nappy Bride @ 9:24 am
Tags: ,

Don’t know about y’all, but an open bar was a pretty essential part of our wedding planning.  But an open bar at a hotel or reception hall is crazy expensive.  Go and read here about how that one choice led us to our reception venue.  Did you guys have any early choices that drove major decisions?


weddzilla post March 25, 2010

Filed under: Weddzilla — Happy Nappy Bride @ 11:49 am
Tags: , , ,

I don’t know if you knew this, but (and this may surprise you) an actual marriage takes place after the wedding.  I know…crazy, right?!  So, armed with that knowledge, The Mister and I have been going thru premarital workbooks.  It’s great, sometimes we feel good after it…sometimes not so much.  But we’re always happy that the book made us talk about the hard stuff.  I wrote about it over here.