Ummm…this album is H-O-T!! Dear Lord…make sure hubs is nearby when you listen to this one! I’ve got Robin Thicke’s first album, but this one blows that one out of the water (and I really liked that one!). Go get it for some special one-on-one time with your man!
Game day January 23, 2011
Being that I’m a Lions fan (sad, I know), I don’t really care about the games this weekend. But the folks around here? Cuh-ray-zee about this Bears-Packers game today.
We live in Illinois, but are only a 20 minute drive from Wisconsin…so there are a ton of both fans here. It’s like armageddon is coming or something. The Mister is a huge Bears fan, so you know what that means…GO BEARS!! 🙂
Jail time for looking at spouse’s email? December 30, 2010
Have y’all heard about this dude who is facing five years in prison for looking at his wife’s email? It’s kinda crazy!
Here are the facts:
- I mean, they’re married.
- He had her password. (She says she didn’t give it to him)
- It happened on a shared computer. (She says it wasn’t)
- She was cheating on him…with her ex-husband!
- The ex-hubs was abusive and new hubs was worried for his kids’ safety.
- Hubs was an IT guy who knows his way around a computer.
What do you think?
Christmas gifts for hubby December 8, 2010
Have you thought about what you’re getting your hubs for Christmas? Do you guys set spending limits? Or do you go wild and crazy? As I’ve said before, we’re on triple secret probation after spending lots of loot on the wedding and honeymoon, so we’ll probably take it easy. We haven’t set a limit on each other (yet) but I think we both know the deal.
So here’s what I was thinking for The Mister:
But he doesn’t really wear cologne…unfortunately. When he puts on aftershave, I literally glue my nose to his face and inhale the smell right off of it, lol! I don’t think he really like it though. So then I thought of getting him a planner…because he asks me for one every year. Not sexy, I know.
But then whenever I get him something like this, I feel like I should get something else…know what I mean? Like this is a gift that I could get my boss, lol! The other thing I thought about are personal development books, he’s always reading something or the other about making money or entrepreneurship or just being a better human being.
I know, I know…this isn’t a sexy idea either. So, of course I thought of getting some snazzy bedroom attire that would be his gift to unwrap (if you know what I mean)…but I’m sure you can image the pictures that come up on Google Images when you type “lingerie” in there! Whoa!
Disclaimer: The Mister subscribes to this blog, so I’ve already ruled these things out…but maybe he’ll start dropping stronger hints since I’m not picking up on what he’s dropping!!
Husband-y December 6, 2010
I’m happy that I married The Mister for so many reasons…he’s just a great guy, but there are a few things that I’m exceptionally happy about with him. Things that I can pawn off on him that I really don’t like doing. Now before you read my list, please don’t misunderstand me as saying that I cannot do these things…I’d just rather not. I’m a woman and I roar (can’t you hear me?), but there are some tasks that I’ll happily hand over to The Mister…and I’ve chosen to call them Husbandy. Or, things that a husband should do.
The 8 things that I think are husband-y things to do (Winter Edition)
- Shoveling. Uck. It’s a good workout, that’s about the only good thing I have to say about shoveling snow, so I’ll happily let The Mister do that one!
- Opening doors. No, my hands are broken and yes, when he’s not around I have to open doors myself…but when he is, it’s nice to have a door opened for me.
- Cleaning the snow off of my car. It’s cold outside. Like really cold outside and it’s so nice when he’ll clean off my car so that I don’t have to.
- Killing bugs. The Mister’s more of a rescuer and I’m more of a murderer when it comes to bugs! So maybe this one doesn’t belong on the list…I don’t really mind killing bugs.
- Opening jars. I’ve got ginormous hands and don’t typically have trouble opening jars and things like that, but I always think of the Seinfeld where Jerry was dating the nudist lady and she was trying to open the jar. Not a good look.
- Weird noises in the middle of the night. When I was single and I heard weird noises, I just prayed for sleep to come right away, lol! Now that I’ve got The Mister, I shove my head under his arm and go to sleep. Don’t know why this helps, but it does.
- Finding the fuse box. We live in an old house, so it wasn’t set up for all of the electronics that we have these days. So every now and then, a fuse will blow and he’ll have to go down to the breaker box. First of all, I don’t know where it is; second of all, I wouldn’t know what switch to flip; and thirdly, I really don’t want to have to worry about it.
- Putting up the Christmas tree. We just put ours up this weekend and I’m glad he did it! Once he hauled it up from the basement and got it put together, the lights wouldn’t work and he was fiddling around with that thing for a while!
So, of course I know that I could do those tasks myself. But isn’t the point of being a couple and a partnership that we don’t have to do everything ourselves? I’d be willing to bet that some ladies’ husbandy things wouldn’t make my list (like, I love to grill and garden), just like you probably didn’t agree with all of mine.
Hit me up in the comments and tell me about your husbandy things!
Coupledom: The Financial Peace Edition December 2, 2010
So, one of the coolest things The Mister and I have done together is take Dave Ramsey’s Financial Peace University class through our church. Not only is it financially sound, it forces us to work together on budgeting, writing bills, and expenses. Finances…together. As my girl Martha would say, it’s a good thing.
Anyhoo, the basis of the class is his baby step process of getting out of debt. This class is good even if you don’t have debt, it’s nice to start off a marriage with the same idea of asset management. Plus, if you’re like us, we cleaned out our savings for the wedding and honeymoon, so regaining that loot is a big part of the plan. Here are the steps:
- $1000 in an emergency fund. That way, when life happens, you won’t be thrown off of your saving/getting out of debt plan.
- Debt snowball. Attacking your debt, one at a time, from the smallest to the largest. Pay off one debt, then once it’s paid off you can use that money to pay off the next. And on and on. Another way to help pay off the debt: get another job! That’s a bummer, but Dave says that if your actions have gotten you into a financial mess, then your actions have to get you out. Income is huge for this step.
- 3-6 months of expenses. Think about all of the folks who’ve been foreclosed on or lost their jobs or whatever other awful things can happen to people…what if they had that money in the bank? That’s a heck of a lot of money though, so we’ve got some work to do!
- Invest 15% in retirement accounts. These baby steps are meant to take place one after another. Meaning you’re not supposed to be investing while you’re getting your emergency fund together or working your debt snowball.
- College funds. Save for your kids’ future so that they don’t have to go into debt just to get an education.
- Pay off your house early. If you’ve got a 30-year mortgage, switch it up to a 15…then pay it off early!! (Yippee!)
- Build wealth and give. Dave is all about making money and getting into a completely comfortable, stable, and well-off place in life. But not just to brag about it, but to better your family situation…then better someone else’s! Like the Bible says: give and it will be given to you!
Have you guys done anything like this with your hubby’s? Will it effect how you spend for the holidays?
slip & slide November 4, 2010
Those are our rings and in May of 2010, they fit great. Now…not so much! The problem with summer weddings in the north is that we have to wear those same rings in the winter…and our fingers shrink due to the cold.
I was putting on my clothes the other day and my ring went flying off. The Mister is afraid to wear his to work because it’s super loose. *sigh*
Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do?